Over 80% of Congressional districts are considered ‘safe’ seats –they are either clearly Republican or clearly Democratic, leading to a reelection rate over 90%.
At the same time, the approval rating of Congress is at an all-time low. Many of our representatives tend toward extremes – they are more worried about being challenged in the primaries than in the general election.
Voters should be choosing their representatives rather than representatives choosing their voters.
The Supreme Court has abdicated their responsibility in dealing with this issue, but a number of states are taking on the challenge of addressing it. California, Michigan, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, Washington - they have all appointed independent non-partisan or bipartisan commissions to examine district lines and ensure fairness. These should be standard in every state so that voters are choosing legislators, and not the other way around.
Problems to be Solved:
- Gerrymandered district lines have resulted in the vast majority of seats being “safe.”
- These “safe” seats result in the election of increasingly extreme voices.
- The battle over redistricting bleeds into other areas such as the collection of census data.
- Implement independent or non-partisan redistricting commissions in every state.
- Push for a federal law making redistricting that attempts to “crack” or “pack” voters into districts in order to maximize one party’s power in a state illegal.
If this sounds like the future you want to build for America, consider donating today!