How to join:
1. Create your Discord account OR sign in through an existing Discord account
2. Join the national Forward Party Discord server by clicking here
3. Confirm you agree with our community guidelines
4. Select 🔰-join-your-state on the left-hand side and choose 'Florida' from the list on the right to gain access to our state channels.
5. Once you see our sub-server pop up on the left-hand side, you should check out the 🌴-fl-start-here channel to learn more about our state category, where you can find resources & volunteer opportunities, and join your community channel.
Tips & Tricks:
You may feel a bit overwhelmed by Discord from the beginning because of the amount of messages being sent by our almost 5k users. The good news is that there's a quick and easy way to change your notification settings to turn off the ones not relevant to you.
Here's a few best practices:
Change SERVER notification settings
By right-clicking on the FWD logo on the left-hand side, you can click on 'Notification Settings' and change your setting to 'Only @mentions' to update the notifications you receive from the entire server and make it so you only receive notifications when your role (@Member, @FWD.Florida, etc.) or your name is mentioned.
How to do it on MOBILE
1. Click on 'Forward Party' at the top
2. Scroll down and click on 'Notifications'
3. Click on 'Only @mentions' under 'Server Notification Settings'
It's recommended that you download the mobile app on your phone and turn on 'Mobile Push Notifications', especially after you change your notification settings with the above guidance so you can stay up-to-date on the updates most relevant to you.
It is not recommended to change the setting to 'Nothing' because you will miss out on many important notifications.
Change CATEGORY notification settings
By right-clicking on any category name, you can click on 'Mute Category' and then click on 'Until I turn it back on' to entirely mute notifications from a whole category of channels. You can also click on 'Collapse Category' to hide all of the channels within the category from your view.
How to do it on MOBILE
1. Tap and hold the channel category you'd like to edit the settings of
2. Click on 'Mute Category' and then 'Until I turn it back on'
3. Tap the channel category to collapse it
The 'Volunteer Discussions' category of channels is a prime example of a category you should do this with because, although we all enjoy a good discussion here at FWD, these channels get filled with messages every few seconds.
By following the steps above, your experience on Discord will definitely be improved and allow you to focus on the conversations that matter to you most!
Types of Channels
There are different types of channels for different uses on Discord. You can join any of them simply by clicking on them on your sidebar menu.
You can use the text channels (the ones with a hashtag on the left-hand side) to chat with other members of the channel.
You can use stage channels (the ones with the person surrounded by two circles symbol on the left-hand side) to join discussions hosted by leadership where you must raise your hand to be brought onto the “stage” to speak. This is similar to Clubhouse or Twitter Spaces and allows for moderated conversations within large groups.
Voice channels are where you can speak with other members primarily through audio. You can also share video by clicking on the channel name one more time and using the buttons at the bottom to start sharing your camera or screen.
Hidden Channels (Community Channels)
Some channels may be hidden until you react to the corresponding button on the 🌴-fl-start-here channel.
For example, you will not see the 🔵-north channel until you click on the blue button at the bottom.
These channels will pop up on the left-hand side once you click on their matching button because you have now given yourself the ‘role’ that has access to these channels.
The reason for these channels being hidden is so that you can opt in to the conversations most relevant to you.
Do you like this page?